I can really relate today to Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's sentiments when he wrote the poem "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day." At times I feel like hate and evil is so strong in this world and that the fight is just too hard. There are moments and days that I have a hard time understanding this evil, well, I guess I never really understand it.
But then if I take a quiet moment and am still, I realize that the small things in my life are made up of bits of faith, and love, and hope. I can hear those bells of right prevailing. I see that people are good, that I have a sacrificing man in my life, and a beautiful pure son, and a new life kicking inside of me. I see people doing kind things for one another. I feel love and gratitude, and even peace. I feel, hear, and see God in the world around me.
If you're in need of a little Christmas "pick-me-up" like I have been, take a few minutes and watch the following performance by Ed Herman and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
(Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882), 1867)
I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.
And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men."
Till, ringing singing, on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
Of peace on earth, good will to men!
I totally needed this. We missed the First Presidency's devotional (we'll watch it online tomorrow) and I needed to jumpstart my Christmas season somehow. Erik makes fun of me for always saying this, but Mack Wilberg is from Castle Dale and I absolutely love every arrangement he does and take full credit as a citizen of his hometown.
ReplyDeleteOh and what a bonus that Richard (ala Gilmore Girls) stopped by to do the narration.
I didn't know Mack Wilberg is from Castle Dale! He's like a HUGE celebrity for the Kennedy family!!
ReplyDelete