I have been looking forward to this day since I first heard about the public preschool program! As the bus approached our front door (YES! our front door!), I suddenly had mixed feelings about letting my little three-year-old venture off on his own. I was still excited to have several morning hours back to myself (well, mostly myself...I still have Charlie around but she's as easy going as can be). But for almost four years I have been with Max nearly every minute of every day. Even when he's being babysat by family or friends, I'm still very aware of the environment he is entering.
I found myself feeling a tad bit anxious. Thoughts started racing in my mind...What is his teacher going to be like? Will she be able to help Max learn and overcome some of his difficulties. Will the other kids be nice to him? Is he feeling afraid, excited, at ease, or anxious like me? I know I'm a control freak and that I just need to let go, but that's easier said than done for me!
I know that this experience will be great for Max, and great for me too. My sister-in-law, Brianne, said in one of her recent blog posts that being a good mom is sometimes knowing when you are just not enough (I'm not sure if that was a quote or her own words). I know that I'm a great mom, but I also know that Max needs other people, people with expertise, friends who can provide healthy social experiences, and he needs a place where he will be given attention when I am just plain worn out from being a mom and running a household day after day.
Well, enough about my feelings...how about some pictures to remember this day by!!!
This was Max's face just before stepping onto the bus. I can't tell you how long Max has been wanting to ride a school bus!
And we had to throw in a picture with fat Charlie! Sibling pictures are the best!
he is so huggable and excited, makes my heart sing.! Charlie is adorable every fold of her. Cant wait to see these kids! Love nana
ReplyDeleteElliott and I kept talking and talking about these cute pictures!! So happy for Max--and YOU guys! Hope his first day was great, here's to many more fun ones for him (and you with your re-captured free time)!
ReplyDeleteMax has the best facial expressions in these pictures. Claire is super jealous of the school bus; her dream is to ride a bus, take a taxi, hot air balloon or SOMETHING exciting and new. Hope Max loves school.
ReplyDeleteJust a note. One of my few philly memories is refusing to get on a bus for my first field trip. Crying in sheer terror.
ReplyDelete