Friday, June 10, 2011

Swimsuits...and the winners are...

Last summer I was pregnant, so naturally I opted out of swimsuit shopping at that time. As a result, my wardrobe has been in serious need of a few updated "hot-weather" staples. I began my search online (please see previous post), ordering dozens of swimsuits, trying them on, and returning almost all of them...

See, the problem was just this. I would model my prospective suits for Jonny, hoping he would find my post-baby-number-two body sexy in anything, but found myself disappointed in Jonny's lack of enthusiasm for my choices. After a few try-on's, he finally hit me with the truth...
gravity had begun to work its sinister tricks on my upper half of my body and I had been in denial.
He informed me that I could no longer wear brands such as "Hurley" or "Lucky" and that I needed a - his words, not mine - "suit with an underwire support."

I may have called my husband insensitive and mean, but secretly realized that I was grateful for his honest opinion, though I never could tell him that to his face! Round two of swimsuit shopping commenced.

I found the following swimsuit, which is VERY flattering to my upper half, at least, I think it is...I'll let you be the judge when you next see me sporting this little retro thing from J. Crew.





THEN I found the following suit at Urban Outfitters...



Now I'm about 98% sure that Jonny will not approve of this suit due to what he would describe as its "strangeness" in nature (and because it provides very little "lift" if any in the boob department). But it's very ME and I love it! Actually, I'm sure he wouldn't mind it so much if I were sporting 5-inch heels like the girl in the picture, not to mention the "come here, you bad bad boy" look on the model's face. But we all know THAT'S not happening. Look for me wearing this edgy piece at the kiddy pool chasing a three-year-old around with a 6-month old on my hip!

I also found this very 70's looking romper at Urban that I died for. It's a little short, but I can probably only get away with a short romper for another couple of years. Then again, maybe I can't really pull it off anymore...well, deal with it!



One last mention: I found these shorts at 7 For All Mankind. So comfortable, so cute. It's worth the splurge if it's something I wear EVERYDAY in Arizona, literally.



There you have it...a detailed version of my summer shopping quests. WHEW! Now I'm off to the gym to get my pre-baby beach body back. Hey, a girl can dream, right?

2 comments:

  1. Jonny will kill me, but you have to get the modern one. Does it have straps--I don't know if I'd be able to not flash everyone with a strapless number + water.
    Anyway, with both of them you'll have your classic J Crew polka-dot one, and then the bold one for times where you want to strut your stuff as the pre-kids Krista. I'm positive you can pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time leaving a comment on your blog and I choose the swimsuit issue, sheesh! (Your kids are darling, BTW.) Love the purple polka-dot suit, and hey, wear Hurley or Lucky, wear any brand you like, Krista. We women are way too critical of how we look. At age 53, if I feel good in it, I buy it. Bought a pair of Lucky jeans last year because they were the first jeans in years that fit my body. Who cares if they were designed for nonpregnant 20-year-olds? xo, (Jonny's aunt) Keenie

    ReplyDelete