Thursday, April 7, 2011

Firework trees.


A few days ago, while driving, Max exclaims from the back seat "Look at the firework trees!" He was pointing at the palo verde trees in full blossom this time of year (which also happens to be our state tree).

Two things about this comment have made me smile all week. One: what a fabulous way of describing the colorful tree. I love the way a three-year-old sees things and then describes it with a limited vocabulary. Sometimes a limited vocabulary can be more beautiful and expressive than a large, learned one.

Two: Over the last few days our drives have consisted of pointing out "firework trees." Sometimes I'll say, "Max, look! Do you see that firework tree?" And sometimes he'll yell first, "I see a firework tree!" My little three-year-old is helping me see a more beautiful world.

2 comments:

  1. I miss sweet Max, all of you for that matter. Thanks for sharing the small precious moments of life. Love you, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now every time I see one of these trees in bloom, I think of Max. Love that boy, he is such a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete