Wednesday, March 16, 2011

One year ago...

I'm not sure if this is the best place to write down some of my feelings this day, but I want my sister and her husband to know how much I love and respect them.

One year ago my brother-in-law, Beav, had a seizure which caused him to crash in a mountain biking accident. He was sent to the hospital and a short time later was diagnosed with a rare form of malignant brain cancer. I remember the moment the neurosurgeon came out of the operating room to speak to us about what he had found in Beav's brain. It wasn't good news, and I couldn't help but completely get lost in my grief as I thought about what life would be like for my sister, her husband Beav, and their daughter Neddy. I went to the restroom with my sister, locked the door and cried with her for a long time.

We're not sure what their future holds, but we are very optimistic. Beav underwent radiation and is still going through chemo treatments. He is in a great treatment program, and he is young and strong.

I can't even begin to imagine what they have felt emotionally this past year. You wouldn't know what they've been through just by looking at them, or even by talking to them. You wouldn't know that Beav's chemo treatments have drained him in so many ways, because he keeps a bright smile on his face. You wouldn't know that Kayla has had a difficult year with doctor's appointments, working full time, and keeping her house running smoothly because she brings so much positive energy when you're around her.

Kayla and Beav are a true example of strength and love and faith. They are completely devoted to each other and are quite the perfect team. They have excelled as parents to Neddy and give her so much attention and care. I haven't seen anything get them down - they have picked themselves up and continued living their lives. AND on top of it all they still remain the life of the party!

I know that this experience has brought some positive things into their lives. It's been so heartening to see the many acts of service and support offered to them from friends and family. They are so loved. Also, I see in them wisdom that comes only by going through the things they have experienced this past year. Most people will never appreciate how precious life is the way that they do.

Thank you Kayla and Beav (and even Neddy!) for teaching me more about letting go of the trivial and placing value in family, friends, and in the small joys of life. I can't tell you how much I look up to you. You mean so much to me, and each day I carry a prayer in my heart for your happiness. I love you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment